Thursday, January 10, 2013

Receptions, Hangouts, and Parties

 friends of Adam's family, his parents, and us at the reception

This past weekend, Adam's Dad's church threw us a reception. It was so thoughtful and sweet of them. Diesel Doug or Pops as Adam likes to call him has been the pastor at this church for the past 8 or 9 years. We wanted to invite more people to our wedding but our venue only allowed for 120. The church was very understanding but still wanted to show their love and support for us. It was very, very nice of them.


Adam's sister (Sarah), her boyfriend and grandparents

It was nice to meet a lot of the people at the church and have time to talk to them for than a few minutes before or after a service. I have been meeting a lot of people lately (Pop's church, our church, curling, networking events, new friends, etc) so I hope I can remember their names next time we make it down there but it was really fun. We decided to sit at table with open seats instead of sitting by ourselves. We choose the table with a lot of older people. You would have thought we were celebrities. Haha it was so funny. They luhoooved that we chose to sit with them.

After the reception, we met some of Adam's high school buddies and their girlfriends at a restaurant. It was really fun to see them again. Adam's friends are very welcoming and instantly make you feel a part of their group. And always, always when they see each other they give hugs when they see you and hugs when you leave. For a person, who likes touch, it feels good to get hugged by friends. After the restaurant, we went to Game Works, which is an arcade for adults. This basically just means there is a bar there too. The guys of course, took this as an opportunity to challenge each other at various games for money. Best of seven. Winner won $30. From skee ball to pac man and everything in between they played and Adam won. Hehe it was fun when he won mostly all the game and I wasn't his opponent. Then we all played games with the extra tokens they had. Adam and I played basketball and I was beating him for a while.... Then I got tired. I'll take a rematch later. In the end, I think there were 700 some tickets so they guys split them and all got candy haha #sogrownup
 (I'm so sad I didn't take more pictures of this whole day. It was so fun!)

Monday we took the National Championship as an excuse to have Milwaukee friends over. I threw my first semi-dinner party up here and it was a success. We had steak sandwiches (think green peppers, onions, steak bits, a worcestershire sauce, etc), color coded fruit for the teams playing, and artichoke dip (a recipe from Leighann). I'll have to give that later because that was a true hit and oh so easy.



I was going to make the fruit into the letters of the teams playing but I didn't want the bananas to get brown in case no one ate them and I didn't really have a platter to put the said fruit letters on so... this is what we had and I think it was just as good ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so cute and creative! I love the ideas.

Leighann said...

Yay! I wondered how the shindig went. Looks yummy. I'm hungry but not motivated to cook. :)